ASTM D1894-14 Coefficient of Friction of Plastic Film
ASTM D1894 is a test method to determine static and kinetic coefficients of friction of plastic film and sheeting. The film under test is secured on a flat surface and a sled of known weight is wrapped in the same material. Using the crosshead's motion to drag the sled along the film being tested, the force measured is used to determine both the static and kinetic coefficients of friction. Instron's 2810-005 coefficient of friction fixture is fully compliant with the requirements of ASTM D1894.
The challenges of testing to this standard are:
- Low force measurement
- Data rate used to capture peaks and troughs
- Reporting calculations in compliance with the standard
- Low force measurement – Instron’s 5900 controller is able to measure forces down to 0.1% (1/1000th) of the 2580 series load cell's capacity, enabling the accurate measurement of very low forces, potentially eliminating the need for multiple load cells
- Data rate used to capture peaks and troughs – Instron’s 5900 series frames are capable of data capture up to 2.5 kHz to ensure that all fast changing test events are captured. Too low of a bandwidth may “dull” the system and lead to missed peaks and troughs, resulting in lower average strength values
- Reporting calculations in compliance with the standard – Instron Bluehill® Universal testing software has advance pre-built methods available with pre-configured plastic specific calculations helping to ensure compliance
It is important to review ASTM D1894-14 in order to fully understand the test setup, procedure, and results requirements.
The Instron® model 2810-005 Coefficient of Friction Fixture measures the static and kinetic coeffi cient of friction of plastic fi lm and sheet using the ASTM D1894 or ISO 8295:2004 standards.
- 97.2 KB
Bluehill Universal Software is built from the ground-up for touch interaction and an intuitive user experience. Discover simpler and smarter testing with features such as pre-loaded test methods, QuickTest in seconds, enhanced data exporting: and Instron Connect – a new feature that provides a direct communication link to Service. Users of previous versions of software such as Bluehill 2 and Bluehill 3 can easily upgrade to the newest version of Bluehill.
- 14.2 MB
5900 Universal Testing Systems are engineered for precision, built for durability, and offer the flexibility for changing requirements. They are designed with standard and optional features that increase testing efficiency and improve the testing experience for the operator. A wide range of models are available for testing capacities from < 100N up to 600kN.
- 6.8 MB