FAQs - Satec Systems
Both up and the down push button switch indicators on the pendent station light when trying to move the crosshead on a HVL frame. (Note 24V DC sys only)
How do I determine the amplitude of my Sontag Fatigue (SF) machine?
How do I know the Complementary Weight of my Sontag Fatigue (SF) machine?
How does the dynamic force of the Sontag Fatigue (SF) machine get adjusted?
How does the static force get adjusted on my Automatic Sontag Fatigue (SF) machine?
I have an auditor asking for software verification documentation and Instron accreditation information. Where can I find this information?
Instron software verification documentation, accreditations and certificates can be viewed and downloaded here
Should I unpack my Instron when it arrives at my facility?
The 3-phase crosshead motor on a hydraulic HVL testing frame will not operate.
The 3-phase pump motor on a hydraulic HVL testing frame will not operate.
The adjustable crosshead has been jammed into the table and it will not move away operating the adjustable crosshead switch.
The hydraulic ram will not move at all to test a specimen or only apply a small load - the pump is running.
- Inspect the three valves that control the loading, they are the micro valves - load and unload knobs that are turn to make an adjustment and the fast advance lever valve. The lever should point in the neutral / off position half way between the load and unload settings. The unload micro valve should be in the closed position fully CW. The load valve will need to be turned CCW to open it and move the hydraulic ram or test a specimen.
- If the valves are correct and there is still no load applied, check the oil level in the reservoir.
- Next check the cylinder and piston assembly to see if it is leaking oil (defective seal). Generally the protective boot on the ram will need lowered to inspect this area.
The Mark III Indicator is locked up and must be rebooted to read correctly.
The position is not changing on the display when the ram is raised. (string style encoder box devise)
The pump will not come on and all the conditions are met (MATS II Controller)
First: The limit switch rod on many of these machines has a dual purpose; if the crosshead has been run up and is resting on the limit it will prevent the pump from coming on. Back the adjustable crosshead off until this limit is no longer tripped.
Second: There is a pica fuse on the MMR rack in the back of the control box for each relay. The fuse is to the lower left of the relay socket on the board. The fuse is a 5 amp - plug in style that looks like a resistor.
The pump will not start on a HVL style machine.
The pump will not start on a HVL Style machine with Partner or Merlin Software.
There is no change in the load reading on the Mark III + display when load is applied to the specimen.
- Make sure one of the four load range buttons is selected on the load module.
- Check to machine sure the load transducer cable is connected at both the transducer and the console.
- Check the Mark III display in Mode 1 (turn off the indicator and back on). It is now in mode 1 and the load range selected should be displayed in the lower left corner of the display. When different ranges are selected on the load module the correct value should be display on the indicator. If it displays 0.0 in every range the software has lost the information. Pull you last verification certificate and call for support.
There is no reading on recorder (graph X-asix) from the extensometer.
- Make sure the correct Range Button is pressed on the Extensometer Module - usually the Low (D) or Medium Low (C).
- If present check the switch for the AC is selected.
- Make sure the correct extensometer scaling number is entered in the scaling potentiometer on the extensometer module.
- Make sure the standby switch is in the on position on the recorder X - axis module.
What are my technical support coverages and options?
- Purchase a System Support Agreement. This provides you with priority in the call queue, remote access to our engineering staff, discounts and additional services for one full year.
- Sign-on to our Consultation Service line. This Fee based support provides you with priority in the call queue for those times that you just specific help.
- Limited Free Technical Support on a call back basis.
- Schedule a Field Service Engineer to visit your site.
What is operating frequencies of the Sontag Fatigue (SF) series machines?
What should I do if there is a communications error between my computer and the machine frame?
Most communication errors can be solved by powering down all equipment, including machine frame, control tower and computer. They should then be powered back on in the following sequence: machine frame, control tower and computer. This should result in communication being re-established. If not, check all cables and connections and perform the restart that was described above. If this does not fix your problem, then please call Instron Tech Support at 1-800-473-7838. Please make sure that you have all relevant serial and model numbers at hand when calling.